Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Wheatie woes

Dammit. Now I know I'm proving something to myself and I'm not happy about it.

You know that wheat and/or gluten thing I'm experimenting with? No? Well, long story short, I am.
A week off ALL of it and I dropped down 4 lbs. Without cutting anything else, nor moving more.

One night on a eating-out "can't stand it, must have a couple sliders and a few bites of that choccy sponge cake" and bam! 3 lbs immediately back, not to mention the horrible tummy rumbles all night and into the next day. Oh yes, and swollen eyes, congested sinuses, and blocked-up ears.
I'm wondering if dropping it out of the diet does the same sort of thing as dropping meat, where you lose the enzymes for digesting it at all and end up sick as a parrot when you do eat it?

I don't miss bread very much, nor cake, cookies, etc. I'm not a big baked goodie fan.
But crackers. I miss crackers very much. And fresh oil-grilled pita bread. There is nothing, I'm telling you, NOTHING on this earth that will substitute for that. And I don't mind allowing myself the occasional indulgence, but not if it's a matter of the sensitivity getting worse from cutting it out completely.

Or maybe I just have a touch of a good immune system fighting off the stomach flu that's been going round at work?
Yah, that's it.

Maybe I'll try and believe THAT for a day or two.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! Hope you aren't getting sick!

Redhead Fae said...

*sigh* As much as I would hate that, I think it's a wheat or gluten sensitivity. That could also explain the very very bloaty thing I get from beer. (Waaaah!)

Rikki said...

I got tested and found out it's not the gluten. I'm afraid it's just that my pharmaceuticals are effin' with my booze.

Redhead Fae said...

Did your insurance cover the testing? I'm not on any regular pharms, so don't think it's that either.
Gah!
Bodies!
Engines make much more sense.

Megan Stuke said...

I think the test for gluten intolerance is fairly simple and should be covered by your insurance if you feel you are having symptoms. Might as well officially confirm it before you make your diet really complicated (or deprived).

I have done low to no carb many times (which is essentially going gluten free) and that causes me to lose weight quickly. It also causes your kidneys to go into keytosis which isn't really a good thing. Be careful how you do it!

Redhead Fae said...

I'll check in to it, thanks!