Sunday, February 01, 2009

Healthiest Foods

Jumping onto the healthy food bandwagon, I took the above quiz to see what nutrients I might be lacking in my diet. I eat pretty healthily, or so I think. I don't eat fast foods, stuff that comes in a box, and I avoid MSG and HFCS. I'm a firm believer in Real Food, not anything that's a substitute for something else. I believe that we're built to eat foods that exist naturally, not chemical compositions that are still untested for long-term use. I feel justified in this since it's been discovered that margarine, not butter is a culprit in heart disease.
I used to have a "Cast-Iron Stomach" and could eat almost anything without consequences, but as I get older that is changing and it annoys me. I'm an unapologetic meat-eater and my health does better with than without it.

All that said, I seem to be deficient in plenty o' nutrients due to my lack of veggies in my diet. I just don't like 'em that much, haven't found many that appeal to me. If it can go into a salad, I'm good with it.. otherwise, meh.

I'm also fond of eating efficiently... if I can eat less and get more out of it, so much the better. This is why I prefer full cream over milk, high quality steak over hamburger, and so on. But regardless, I show up most likely deficient in B12, Magnesium, Folate, B6, Iron, Zinc, Vit D, and a few others. Actually, they didn't ask me about my outdoor habits or meat-eating, so I can assume this is slightly skewed.

Anyway, according the this site the Number One food that can supply me with most of my deficiencies?

Boiled Spinach.

I'm doomed. Boiled Spinach is disgusting. I'd much rather eat it raw, and wouldn't it make more sense that it would be better for me?

Take the quiz yourself and see how you fare.

3 comments:

D'Ork said...

I can't see that Boiled is any better at getting you the nutrition you need than raw... and would almost argue that Raw is ever so much better - but don't have documentation to prove it. But if Boiled is the key, there are many ways to have boiled spinach wthout it being that mush I'm assuming you mean... the very same lump of nasty greeness my momma used to serve us as a kid. Try pureeing the lump and adding it as a backend flavoring to other dishes, or adding cream and making Cream of Spinach soup. Mix a little Apple Cider Vinager into it, put it in a processor and slowly drizzle olive oil into it to make a nice vinagrette for a Greek Salad.

Megan Stuke said...

I did the quiz and my answers came out almost identical to what you reported here. I'm not buying it. But I will continue to force as much spinach into my diet as I can - raw, or otherwise.

Redhead Fae said...

D'Ork.. tha's why I luv ya! Trust you to come up with cool ways for making foodies good. I like the dressing idea, and have the cream, olive oil and ACV on hand, so I may give that a try this weekend.

Gypsy.. yep, the more folks that have taken this, the more we suspect it isn't very accurate. I think we really do know what we should eat, it's just tha doin' it part that's inconvenient.