Saturday, December 20, 2008

*That* Aunty


Doesn't every family have one? That aunty..the one who seems somehow more exotic, sophisticated or funky, she usually marries into the crowd from somewhere else and brings a touch of otherworldliness to the family.
One my Mum's side for me it was Aunty Margaret. She looked so gorgeous, always made up. Uncle Rod, who was a sort of a Footballer found her somewhere and she did rather resemble a footballer's wife. My cousin and I used to agree that she distinctly resembled our Barbie's brunette friend and was therefore the epitome of "pretty" in our book.
On Dad's side, the closest I could imagine was my Aunt June, but that was only because she was young and liked Twiggy. Then one day it occured to me that it was because the exotic Aunty in Dad's family was my very own British, and oh so stylish Mum.

Spending today with da Jbird's 2 out of of four brothers and their wives made me hope that I can aspire to being "that Aunty" of his clan. At least the little nieces seemed to look at me with those eyes. The same ones with which I looked at my Aunty, and now my own Mum too.

2 comments:

Megan Stuke said...

Your Mum looks like a cover girl in those pictures. I cannot get over that figure!! And the little gloves, and the big pink bow, and all of it.

And you - with your little red purse and your anklets. To die.

Redhead Fae said...

AND the shoes! the shoes kill me too!
Mum was known for her "wasp waist".. I think it was 22 then and she could wear a 19 inch belt when she was 20. Why, oh, why did the genetic gods not grace me with that waist?!! :)