Thursday, April 02, 2009

I thnk about space, and not in my head

I have vague and fascinating memories of NASA.. my mum worked there in the late 60s while Dad was part of the Presidential Wing at Andrews AFB in DC in the Air Force. Most of all, I remember of those times, going to the Smithsonians for weekend family trips and then later in grade school, the only science subject that caught my interest was physics of aeronautics.

I watched the ISS move across the Kansas sky tonight, a bright starry sky that we've missed so much lately. I felt the wonder once more of space and light and how man can possibly match the wonder of that vastness of space. We are out there, and we belong there.

I am agnostic.
I have no gods to worship, nor mysteries to ponder based upon books and writings of man, mostly politically motivated. But I do have the wonder of the cosmos, and of how we make ourselves a part of that, and go venture forth into that small part of the cosmos. I have the wonder of the majesty of getting huge parts of our technology into the upper atmosphere, and how people of different nations make it work.

Basically, what I explored tonight, and what I hope you'll check out also, is how we explore that space. Please go look at the videos of the ISS and how it works, how the people live on it. There are some very cool video links to the right of your screen there.

If you have the chance Friday night in Kansas, check out the ISS almost over us. check out what's over us and where it goes, because tonight the ISS will be visible (cloud cover permitting) over our heads here.
If you're not living here, figure out from that website exactly where it will be and what else moves around the sky over you.

No comments: